Sometimes it’s the little things that are SO. ENTIRELY. SATISFYING. Like having a simple sit down dinner with friends after a day of classes. Or spotting a bowl of free lollipops after a 1.5 hour lecture. Or getting some extra cash from selling back old textbooks... And using it to acquire things like black current beer. And of course finding a good Groupon always leaves me with a smile.
And eating something indulgent that is also low in calories and healthy? That goes on the list for sure. These apple bakes are crammed full of apples with a little bit of batter to hold everything together. They are the lazy man’s apple pie and uses ingredients that are probably already on hand.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen:
5 large granny smith apples
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup all purpose flour
Oil for greasing the tin
Optional powdered sugar/cinnamon for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel apples and cut apples into medium size chunks
2. Lightly grease a 6 cup, extra large muffin tin and divide the apple cubes between the six cups so that it is piled to the top of each cup
3. In a bowl, mix the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and flour together
4. Pour batter mixture on top of apples, evenly dividing the mixture
5. Smooth the batter on top of the apples, shaking muffin tin so that the batter covers the apples
6. Bake for around 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Don’t over bake or the apples will lose their structure.) Dust with powdered sugar and cinnamon if desired. Stores well in the fridge.