Monday, September 26, 2011

10 min Caprese pasta

There’s course packs that need to be read, lectures that need to be listened to and I will scoff at you if the gym is mentioned…or at least mumble something nondiscript like “I can’t go right now I'm um... laundry”. And despite a false early start yesterday morning at 8:00 am (to place some cereal within arms reach), I was quickly back in bed and substituting lectures on embryological development with more episodes of The Real Housewives.
 

3:00pm: Realizes that I have not had lunch yet.
3:05pm: Realizes that it is not like me to just forget to have lunch. Worried that I might be severely sick.
3:10pm: Feeling hungry. Phew.
3:11pm: I WANT FOOD NOW
3:12pm: Realizes in order for this to happen, must first get out of bed and into a place with more food. Like the kitchen. (The McGill education has really not gone to waste)

 
Anyways I think everyone should have a fall back meal for days you want to put minimal effort into making a fast and tasty meal. (No, Subway's not the answer!). For me it was cereal. Large handfuls, funnelled from box into mouth. Or it was, until I made this pasta with my friend Molly. It’s her mom’s recipe and a) can be ready in about 10 minutes b) only the pasta requires cooking c) it will make you really happy.

(Serves 2 really hungry people)
Ingredients:
Extra virgin olive oil
4 Roma tomatoes (or about 1 cup of cherry tomatoes)
1 clove of garlic
1 container of bocconcini cheese pearls
Handful of mint or basil sprigs (or both)
Bow tie/penne pasta (or a pasta that can hold onto sauce)
Salt and pepper to taste

  1. Start by boiling the desired amount of pasta. While the pasta is boiling, pour around 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into a large bowl.
  2. Mince the garlic really finely and add it in the bowl so it can start to flavour the oil.
  3. Dice up the tomatoes and herbs. Add the tomatoes, herbs, bocconcini pearls and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper to the olive oil.
  4. Drain the pasta when it is el dente, making sure to get rid of all the pasta water and add pasta to bowl.
  5. Immediately mix everything together so the heat from the pasta can slightly melt the bocconcini and warm the sauce. Add more salt and pepper to taste. 

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful salad, these photos make it sooo appealing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...